Things are brightening up!

Hey everyone,

This week Dr. Cassanello and I have finally heard back a bit about our STARS site built through UCF’s infrastructure. Ms. Lee Dotson emailed us asking for the front pages of the Florida Historical Quarterly issues associated with the various podcasts so that she could post the images of the issue with the first iteration of the site. I set up a time time meet with her to drop these off and in my email I mentioned I had them on Google Drive. Instead of making a special trip to campus, Ms. Dotson suggested I just share the files via Drive and that she prefered it that way. Finally some people are starting to use Drive!

 

In addition to waiting for the site to go live so we can continue adding information and features to the archive/storefront, I’ve been asked to experiment with different microphones and recording settings. I had mentioned this in an earlier blog post, but that was when I received the assignment. I’ve finally finished it.

I recorded myself talking in my office, living room, on the front porch, and at Lazy Moon. ideally, these locations changed the recorded audio based off of their properties. I also used three different setups of microphones during this.

The office I recorded is filled with two desks, a few full bookshelves, and a variety of other crafting things my girlfriend owns. When I recorded in this environment I found that a lot of the sound was being absorbed by the books in the room, making the recording extra quiet. Recording with the onboard mic produced a boomy and gain-filled recording, while recording with the separate microphones produced a stereo track that sound pretty good, but it still had lots of gain.

Next I recorded the same passage of the book I had read aloud in the office in my living room. This room has vaulted ceilings and a relatively open concept, so it’s just a large open room. When I recorded in this area, the absorption by the books was absolutely noticeable as the recording literally peaked the recorders levels. I had to lower the recording levels to produce a usable sound, but this room just created a significantly louder and echoed version of the recording in the office.

Next, I recorded outside on my front porch. This caused the mic levels to dramatically drop due to no echoes being produced since we were effectively in the open air. I raised the levels in an effort to catch the voices I was recording, eventually getting a useable recording that was probably the second bes sounding next t the office recording.

I also thought it would be interesting to record in a public place and analyze the differences. I invited my old roommate to lunch at Lazy Moon and he read a paragraph from Moby Dick. This recording initially maxed out the microphone’s sensitivity as there was a few dozen people loudly talking, sports, and people yelling for orders. I lowered the levels to about 50% of the normal levels and recorded my friend.

When I brought them to Dr. Cassanello he was satisfied with my work until he got to the Lazy Moon recording. Here he said it sounded like I had eliminated the gian issues all of the other recordings had. he asked me to continue recording things in with the same settings I did in Lazy Moon to see if that would permanently eliminate gain.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s